2009-07-07

Trading and traders

Sitting in my Spartan room at the Dubai Traders Hotel, watching the clock spin towards midnight and knowing that the 0500 wake up call will call regardless of if I've had enough sleep. Why should the phone care, really? I've questioned if I should set a supplemental alarm as back-up, and probably will, but hesitate to do so because I haven't used an alarm since I got back from here the last time. Usually, I just wake up.

But then, unlike now, there was no plane to catch that would drop me into Bagram Airfield, and I really can't miss thast flight, as there won't be another for three or four days. Why there aren't hourly flights is beyond me. Really, doesn;t everyone want to go to the beach in the summertime?

I suppose having the sea near by is a plus for all of the other beaches. Not for me though. This will be another whirlwind tour of continuous 12 hour days (half time, if I haven't mentioned it before). By the end of it, we'll have scoped another few hundred million dollars of military support facilities. I guess we must be pretty good at it, or they wouldn't keep asking us back.

For now, it's a new hotel with a plethora of new plumbing fixtures and light switches and outlet configurations. At least I got the network cable figured out. With that success, I'll call it a day.

2 comments:

Adumbrator said...

Hey, bro. I see the Dubai Traders on the Google maps at the corner of Salahuddin and Abu Baker Al Siddique. No sign of swimming pool in the overhead imagery, but you'll be up and gone before time to take a dip. Walking distance to the Gulf (and the airport, for that matter, if you weren't lugging the luggage). Fascinating how the google imagery at the different scales so clearly shows the addition of that island to your NW.

Take care.

dB said...

I hope this will be a productive and not too eventful trip.

Best to you.