2009-07-19

Approaching the Wire

Big submittal tomorrow. Our estimated costs are due for the mess of projects that we’re working on. Not that there’s that much pressure on us, except for the occasional early request for cost data on the fuel systems. [They’re high, by the way, as expected.] It’s all been rather lax since the start, and I’m pretty sure my electrical is feeling a little guilty collecting the paycheck.

I’m pretty good with it, actually.


I mean, we are sent into harm’s way, to do everything we’ve been contracted to do while we’re here. That we are more efficient that the government imagined is their problem as far as the budget goes. That we have little to keep us occupied is my problem, or will be my problem for the next week.

I suppose I can walk the perimeter a couple of times – it’s a popular running loop for the masochistically inclined, some three miles around with three or four hundred feet of vertical. I’m already trying the sleeping in thing, and can now make it all the way to 0530. I’m on my fourth book, and ninth missive. I’ve updated my resume, planned a couple of rides, and have reorganized iTunes. I’ve shopped at the PX, eaten at the DFAC, and visited the KBR barber. There’s little left once the work is done.

Last night, I joined our three Air Force minders in some cribbage, which they now play continuously, having even less to do than we do. The First Lieutenant just learned the game, but shows promise. The Captain is good, but out of practice. The Major is a bit of a numbscull.

Once the work is done,… boredom. Waiting to fly.

No comments: