2003-10-16

Thursday, October 16, 2003

21:15 – Kuwait Hilton. Received the necessary and required Country Clearances this afternoon. This was confirmed at the pre-deployment briefing (the next of untold numbers of briefings) this evening after supper. Supper was light, as I was nervous as hell from the moment the initial confirmation came through. It seems like the last few hours before the crossing of Mackinaw last summer. I’m sure I’m just psyching myself out. There’s a goal. A destination. Baghdad. I’ll be there tomorrow. If I puss out on the plane, so what. It’s just another airplane ride. I just know in advance that it will suck. No breakfast, Dramamine, Sea Bands, no problem, mon.

Towards night, and my gut is calm. Postcards are sent (at 250 fils each). Complete the packing tonight, write the wife a nice note (recycle last nights), charge the player for maximum rock and roll, and wait for the morning pickup.

=====

Sweetheart,

We’re out of Kuwait City tomorrow morning having resolved the snafu regarding our country clearances, caused by a KBR (Kellogg Brown Root) employee who lost mission focus. We attended the pre-deployment briefing this evening, where we learned the procedure for shipping out. It begins at 07:00 (it was to have started at 04:30 Wednesday), involves an interminable wait prior to departure, and culminates with a very rapid spiral decent from altitude to the tarmac at BIAP (Baghdad International Airport). We were instructed to bring our own ziplocks. You would probably enjoy the ride, of course, until everyone else started hurling. Of course, I’m thrilled.

We did some sightseeing yesterday, using Jim wife, Denise, as guide, in true Company fashion. There’s really not much to see here with regards to attractions, but did check out the view from the Kuwaiti Towers downtown, and strolled a local market.

Got up early to see the last couple of innings of the game. I hope Bob was some consolation.

Some Companyman will call once they get news of our arrival (probably around this time tomorrow). Both Muscatine and Minneapolis have your digits. I’ll send word myself, once I get a breather.

Bed too big,…

I remain, your devoted husband,

OX,

No comments: