2008-08-14

Ali Baba

Sort of pissed, I suppose. I was being shuttled around various parts and quarters of Cairo by our local guy, hitting a couple of errand spots on the way to my new swank hotel. We returned from a stop at the office, down into the bowels of the secure and covered parking, when I noticed that a couple of flaps on my luggage were open, exposing the empty space beneath.

Ali Baba had struck, moving through the shadows, thwarting the best Hyundai locksets. My iPod is gone now, and a very nice set of ear buds, and my phone, and my toilet kit, and whatever else I can’t remember.

I for the iPod and earbuds, I hope he likes heavy metal, as there was nothing twangy and oudy on the thing. The Phone? It won’t even work in this hemisphere, so good luck with that. Also, best of luck with my toiletries, moron. The razor was dull and the toothpaste was almost gone and the hotel will bring me new stuff upon request.

And the expensive laptop computer and accessories, fully loaded with an easy $10k in software? Idjit didn’t touch it.

So,… what have we learned? Some Egyptians are criminals. Some Egyptians are stupid asses. Some Egyptians are not devout, regardless of their religious tendencies.

What haven’t I learned, but will fairly soon? That I’ll just figure a way to expense the loss. That the flight back will be longer without musical entertainment. That this loss is just the excuse I need to score a Company Global Phone.

That weeds grow and flowers fall, despite our desire to the contrary.

No comments: